Dear Families,
Due to it being a "shortened" school week because of Thanksgiving Monday, the students and I were eager to get back to our learning and even complete work that we may have missed from the holiday.  I truly have a motivated group of children in my class which makes me feel so happy!!


Writing:

This week's writing topic was all about Thanksgiving (see google slide below).


I did a mini-lesson about Recounts which is "Retelling an Event in Sequence" (see picture below of the anchor chart we have posted in our classroom).  Students were encouraged to provide as much detail as possible about their experience over the weekend and to use sequence words such as first, then, next, after that, and finally.  I also had them work in pairs to give each other feedback to add to their work!  We have so many hard working writers here!!





In your child's agenda you will have noticed I have sent home his or her writing notebook for the weekend.  Take an opportunity to sit with your son or daughter and read their pieces they have written thus far in grade 3!  I think you'll be quite impressed with their achievement so far.  I sure am!  Please ensure notebooks are returned to school for Monday as we use these daily.  Thank you for taking the time to celebrate your child's writing!

Reading:
Thank you to Jeremy and his family for providing another two powerful stories for me to share in class about First Nations and Indigenous children's experience at residential schools.  When I share these books, students are fully engaged, attentive, and truly express their empathy as they think about the feelings of others.  I am moved by their questions, responses and how grateful we are to be in a school that is safe and fosters equality and love.




Ask your child to talk about the two books posted above and what happened in them.  Next week, we will do an activity using a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast the experiences children have at Nottawa School vs. A Residential School.


We did a little discussion about this today to get their minds thinking.  Perhaps over the weekend, have your child write down some jot notes and they can use these to complete the in-class task!


Math:
This week, students wrote a place value assessment.  I shared with them that this year assessments will emphasize celebrating our stars (strengths) and arrows (areas to improve/continue to work on).  I will provide lots of class time for assessment completion as well as provide lunch and learn time to support their achievement.  I am very proud of everyone for doing their personal best in our place value unit!  We will revisit this concept using numbers in the thousands at a later time.  

Our next unit will focus on Measurement.  I sent home a math note today in the agenda :)  Please read it over with your child and complete some of the 'at home activities.'  At the beginning of every math unit, I will be providing what's called a diagnostic assessmentThis assessment helps inform my teaching.  A diagnostic test gives me information about what your child knows from the previous grade level.  It is important to see where my students are at so I can better serve their needs.  I will be providing this assessment on Monday.
Math Note


Gym:
This term in gym, we will be focusing on cooperative games to build upon our collaboration, sportsmanship, and agility skills.  So far, I've taught the students 3 exciting games which are listed below and I've also downloaded two videos so you can see the games in action. 

Ask your child how to play them and what strategies their team used to be successful!  As some are aware, I'm a big sports and exercise person, so seeing my kids participate in gym so keenly and using team work, warms my heart!  There's never a dull moment in gym class - smiles all around!!

Cooperative Games:
  1. Pirates - level 1-3  
  2. Space Colonies
  3. Hoop Hop Showdown
Space Colonies:


Hoop Hop Showdown:


Lunch & Learn:
Each day during the second nutrition break from 1:00 - 1:20 p.m., I provide a quiet space in our portable for students to spend time with me to eat their lunch and get extra support in their learning.  It's an opportunity for students to build upon their initiative, responsibility, and collaboration skills.  Ask your child about this experience!  Some are even asking me for extra math questions to practice expanded form, rounding to the nearest 10, and addition/subtraction with regrouping!  My class' enthusiasm and determination to do their best is amazing!!  How blessed am I?!  VERY!

Georgian Triangle Humane Society:
Are you ready for Halloween? The leadership team sure is!  The leadership team is made up of grade 7 and 8 students who are helping to develop and continue our amazing school spirit at Nottawa!! They have a dance planned for all grades on October 31st! This will also be black, orange and purple day.  Jot it down on your calendars!
The leadership team is asking for a minimum donation of $2 or an item from the Humane Society's wish list. Use the link below to see what’s on the list.  If you wish to donate an item, please have your child bring it into school beginning Monday! 
Thank you in advance for your continued generosity!  We here at Nottawa are always thinking about our community and helping make a difference!!
https://www.gths.ca/get-involved/wishlist/
Music:
As you’re aware, Mr. Morin is teaching your child music this school year.  He has a blog and asks students to visit it from time to time to practice their recorder skills.  To assist in this learning, I have posted his link below!  

Have your child visit Mr. Morin’s website over the weekend.  They are to click on the heading: Recorders to find the music they're working on.  Thank you :) 

Bus Safety Presentation:




Today, we had the pleasure of having two very knowledgeable and engaging instructors who taught our students about bus safety.  It is important for all students to learn about this even if they don't take a bus to and from school as we have a number of field trips throughout the year where we need a bus.  Ask your child what some of the key learnings were in this presentation.  The kids loved Buster the Bus!!  Check out the link below to print off your very own poster.

http://www.bussafety.ca/  

Mindfulness:
What is the author's message in this video?  What character trait is being displayed?  Explain a time when you've been a team player with your family.




Growth Mindset:
"My mistakes help me GROW!"


Thanks for another wonderful note boys!!

Namaste,

Ms. Gill


Comments

Popular posts from this blog