Dear Families,
Here I am writing my final blog update for our 2018/2019 school year.  It is with mixed emotions that I share this post.  I am happy to have completed this year seeing all my students diligently grow academically, socially, and behaviourally.  But, I am truly sad that our time together in our learning community has come to an end.  I will miss each student as they have in their own way brightened my heart with their smiles, enthusiasm, and respect.  Each day, I was greeted with warmth and positive energy.  I truly am the blessed one!  

Messages of Gratitude


I would like to thank each of you (parents) for all that you have done this school year to continually support your child in each and every thing that they participated in (E.g., paying for numerous field trips, the many parent volunteers giving their time on field trips/Fun Fair, home reading, word study homework, extra math practice homework, nominating me for the Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence, spirit days, Poetry Cafe, Black History Assembly, and the list goes on).  As a teacher, I can honestly say, I could not have done it without you!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!  

I want to take this final opportunity to wish you all a happy and safe summer holiday!  Enjoy and seize every moment you can with your dear child!  I will miss them greatly!!!  Take care and keep smiling J See you in September everyone!

Teacher Gifts:
To all my families, thank you for taking the time, energy, thought, and love to give me a year-end gift.  I am so moved by your generosity and caring hearts!  Many connected my love for giving back to a charity and donated to causes near and dear to me (e.g., Sick Kids, Me to We) on my behalf).  I truly cherish these acts of kindness!  I will always fondly remember your support.  It has meant the world to me!












My connections with my students' parents/guardians is something I truly value.  I could not have made the progress in your child's academic, social, and behavioural learning if I didn't have you every step of the way - thank you, thank you!!  I'll definitely make good use of all my gifts over the summer break - YAHOO!

Report Cards:
This week, students received their report cards and as always, I like to reinforce that for me, it is not solely about the ‘marks’ or ‘level’s,’ but an emphasis on celebrating students’ strengths and next steps.  We all have areas which we excel in and things we need to continue to work towards.  

I am proud to say that each student this year displayed their personal best and it has reflected in their growing character.  Many of you know how important character and values are to me as I believe this is what will take you further in life …always be respectful, KIND, and supportive to others!  It takes patience, practice, and perseverance, but if we all continue to work towards this, we will lead a happy and healthy life for all to enjoy! 


Inside the report card envelope, I had students write down a star (their strength this year) and an arrow (something to continue working on) comment along with a meaningful growth mindset.  They came up with these all on their own!  There was a daily emphasis on developing a growth mindset throughout the year, and I thank everyone who contributed to this.  Remember, we must put these THOUGHTS into our WORDS, and display them in our ACTIONS!!


Talent Show:
Congratulations to ALL the talent show performers!  I was in awe of the many talents shown!  Nottawa is filled with amazing students – wow!  In particular, I would like to extend a HUGE congrats to the participants from our class, namely Addy, Becca, and Sonja.  


You girls did an outstanding job and displayed your extraordinary skills in playing piano, singing and dancing!  It takes a lot of courage to get up in front of the whole school.  You did it with such grace and gentle confidence. You made our class family so proud!!  Way to go girls J




So sorry Addy and Becca, I didn't get a picture of the both of you performing.  But, I did have the opportunity to watch it on Addy's Dad's phone.  Despite Addy hurting herself during the live performance, she kept on going!  Your determination and dedication to complete a task no matter what is admirable!!  You girls rocked your dance!

Harrison:
Before the performers began, Harrison took some time to honour Ms. Stewart for her contributions around the school.  He thought of this all on his own too.  It was important for Harrison to acknowledge Ms. Stewart who gives her time for homework club each day during second break and preparing and facilitating the gifted testing.  Way to go Harrison!!  You're such a caring, compassionate, and character filled kid!  I know Ms. Stewart will ALWAYS remember this special presentation for her.  You've filled her bucket!!




Summer Scrapbook:
I sent home a scrapbook with your child to encourage him or her to write over the summer holidays!  Continuing to work on this skill is important as the expectations in grade 4 increase.


Your child may choose to write a narrative (story), a procedure (recipe), a recount (retelling an event in sequence), a report, an explanation, growth mindsets, or a poem.  The goal is for your child to share some special things they did over the break and to continue their love of writing!

Please encourage your child to proofread and edit their work prior to their sharing with you!

Editing Checklist:  When I proofread, I make sure that ...
  • Each sentence begins with a capital letter
  • I left spaces between words
  • "I" is always capitalized
  • Quotation marks (speech marks) are used when someone is talking or to quote someone else's ideas
  • I check my spelling
  • "No excuses" - word study words are spelling correctly
  • My writing makes sense
  • My printing is legible
  • Names of people, important places, days and months are capitalized
  • Each sentence ends with a .  ?  or !
In the fall sometime, I look forward to inviting your child for a picnic lunch in our outdoor classroom to celebrate some of their scrapbook writing pieces!!

Poetry:
Thank you boys and girls for working so hard on your poetry portfolio's!  So many poems were meaningful and brought tears of joy to my eyes.  We had an opportunity to honour these on a bright sunny day with our peers!





Fire Prevention:
On Monday, we had the Clearview Fire Department visit our school for a special presentation to keep safe.  Ask your child what some of the safety tips were and what various hazardous symbols mean that appear of everyday household items (e.g., cleaning supplies). 



The kids as always really enjoyed exploring the fire truck as an ending to the presentation!  Check them OUT!!











Jump Rope for Heart:
Nottawa staff, students, and families ROCK!  Not only did we raise enough money for our school goal ($3,000), we exceeded it!!  Thank YOU for all your contributions, it will make a difference in the lives of men, women, and children who need it the most to help them achieve their optimal health and wellness. 


Next year, let's try to reach $4,000 boys and girls!  We can DO IT!!

Graduates:
Congratulations to all our Grade 8 graduates!  I had the pleasure of coaching some of the girls in intermediate basketball.  It was a fantastic season as we WON THE BANNER for the area tournament!  I’m so proud of Kiera, Ava A., Reece, Roslyn, and Becca!  This fabulous group of girls not only display exceptional basketball skills, but also have tremendous character off the court.  Good luck in your high school endeavours!  


Thank you to our dedicated parent volunteers who took so much time and effort to provide and make ALL the amazing decorations to the grad theme of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  It looked stunning and you always go above and beyond to make it special for our school family!!  





I attended the graduation ceremony Tuesday evening and it was wonderful to see everyone “dressed to the nines!”  Our 8’s looked so beautiful!  As I sat admiring everyone, I couldn’t help but think about my students (your child) getting up on stage for their graduation when it comes up!  I can’t wait!  I know, I know, we still have a few years left don’t we J haha.  It will be a precious moment and one I’m very much looking forward to!  It’s been an amazing year watching each learner grow to their full potential!  They are truly ready for the next grade level J  

Becca:
Thank you Becca for coming up with the idea for our class family to write a note of gratitude and appreciation for me as we end our school year together.  You're truly a thoughtful girl and I will always hold this act of kindness close to my heart.  Everyone's contributions to this means so much to me!  I am amazed and delighted by ALL the messages :-)  



As teachers, there are many PEAK (amazing) days, but we also experience VALLEY (challenging) ones too.  I know when I experience the latter, I will reflect on these messages and they'll surely help me move forward graciously and happily.  So, thank YOU for this!!

Ryan, Connor, & Addy:
Thank you to the families of Ryan, Connor, and Addy for providing popsicles, freezies, and cupcakes for our class party!  The kids and I really enjoyed the coooool treats!




Mindfulness:
I've shared on many occasions with my class, the importance of demonstrating our best selves in our thoughts, words, and ACTIONS.  For it is how we think, act, and feel that will most impact not only us, but also those around us.  We must always put forth our personal best and lead with integrity. 


I know many students in this class have taken this character trait on, and will continue being not only good students, but tremendous citizens as they move forward to contribute to society.  I will always be here for your child, and if I can help in any way big or small, please be in touch!  I truly love and adore them!


Growth Mindset:
"Be the BEST YOU CAN BE even when NO ONE IS WATCHING!" - Jimi

Namaste,
Ms. Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog