Dear Families,
Umm, how many teaching and learning days do we have left?!  Wowie, time sure flew by!!  I can still picture the first day of school seeing the keen and bright eyes of my students :)  It's really been a fantastic experience because of my brilliant learners and their awesome parents supporting us throughout the school year!!





Mrs. McTaggart:
Thank you to everyone who dressed up in their camper gear (see pics above) to show our love and appreciation for Mrs. McTaggart who will be retiring at the end of June.  She will be dearly missed and we are ever so grateful she has been part of our Nottawa family for so many years dedicating her time as a beloved teacher, coach, and mentor for all those hearts she's touched!  You're truly one of a kind, Mrs. McT!  Looking forward to celebrating you with our staff this evening by your pond :)




Father's Day:
Happy Father’s Day on Sunday to all the wonderful Dads out there!  I hope you enjoy quality time together as a family.  Your child is so excited to give Dad the personalized card and letter that they created. Each student worked so hard on this during the past week.  I am so proud of their final products and I am confident you will be, too.  


A special thank you for providing a photograph of Dad.  I realize how busy everyone is and so for you to take the time to do this for us is appreciated!  This personal touch made a difference ...check out some of the adorable cards below!






Poetry Cafe Note:
Lots of buzz being sent out about this (we’re just so excited), but once again, Thursday June 20th from 11:45 - 1:00 p.m., we are inviting families and friends into our learning community for our Poetry Cafe celebration.

We will have a sign in system organized outside of the library, so please ensure you sign in and then make your way into our library. Your child will be eager to see you!  We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to join and celebrate with us.  As indicated in the note sent home earlier this week, please have your child dress up in a black shirt and bottoms (or dark colours).  Thank you for your support in this.

Please ensure you return your R.S.V.P. back to school by Tuesday so I know approximate numbers to set up enough chairs and tables for this special event :)

Science:
On Tuesday, I sent home a review sheet for students to use to study for their upcoming assessment for Strong & Stable Structures.  Please ensure they take some time over the weekend to practice their knowledge and understanding of the concepts from this unit.  This will set them up for success for this assessment.

Image result for strong and stable structures

Planting:
Today during period 3, students were given the opportunity to plant a morning glory in a little pot with soil.  I sent these home with students, please find a cozy spot in your home to take care of it and watch it BLOSSOM n' GROW!



Character Recognition Assembly:  
Our final Character Recognition assembly will be Friday June 21st during Period 5 and 6 which is 1:45 pm to the end of the day.  Join us if you can. It will also be our final spirit dress up day.  Students are encouraged to dress up for Canada Day to celebrate our country's upcoming birthday!!  Wear your red and white!
Image result for canada day kids dressed up cartoon

King’s Wharf Theatre:
What an AMAZING panto production of Jack & the Beanstalk!  If you haven’t had the chance to see it, and may have the time to, I highly recommend this show!  It was beautifully done, and hilarious!  If interested, check out the link below.

https://www.draytonentertainment.com/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=jack-beanstalk-penetang&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

I loved how interactive it was, the whole audience got involved – ask your child how  J  










We had one Nottawa student (Olivia Nuttell-Winters) who had the opportunity to go up on stage to join a cast member. It was so FUN to watch!  Thanks to students who dressed to impress for this performance!



Mindfulness:
Many of my students know, like teaching, I'm also very passionate about the game of basketball.  Especially coaching it at our school (grade 7/8 girls team).  We've won 2 banners in 3 years since Mme Wylie and I started coaching the team :)

Basketball is a sport that's helped me throughout my life.  When I was a young girl, I would shoot hoops until it was dark and my Ma had to literally drag me inside to go to bed!  HAHA.

For me, basketball was and continues to be a form of mindfulness.  As a youngster, when I touched the ball, saw my hoop, I was in the PRESENT MOMENT.  No worries about anything, just thinking and planning how I was going to drain the ball into the basket.

Being mindful doesn't solely mean sitting still, you can do ANYTHING, BE ANYWHERE ...just remember ... BE PRESENT!

Below is a wonderful video by our very own Super Fan - Nav Bhatia!  Ask your child why this man is special and how has he helped young children in the GTA :) Mr. Bhatia is an inspiration to me!

Congratulations RAPTORS!!  You deserved this victory!!  I am PROUD to be CANADIAN!  


Growth Mindset:
"Find your INNER PEACE, BE YOU!  Stay in the PRESENT MOMENT!" -Emma

Namaste,
Ms. Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog